Tuesday, June 30, 2015

DIY Chanel Surfboard

 
You guys this DIY is probably my favorite yet! For months I have been obsessing over those beautiful surfboards emblazoned with the Chanel logo. However, I don't quite have the $18,000 that it costs. So, instead, I decided to make this (decorative) surfboard myself. I didn't take pictures throughout the process, but I'll try my best to explain the steps thoroughly.
 
Time: About two days
 
Step 1) Gathering Supplies
For this project, you will need:
*A piece of plywood
*A sharpie
*Ruler
*A reciprocating saw (with wood blades)
*Black paint
*White primer
*White paint
*Paint rollers
*Painter's tape
*Paint brushes (in various sizes)
*Chanel logo print-out
*Exacto knife
*Old rag (optional)
 
Step 2) Shape the board
To begin, use your ruler and sharpie to make the size you want your surfboard. Then, use the reciprocating saw to cut it out.
 
Step 3) Painting the base
You may want to sand down your board if there are any rough edges before you begin to paint. Regardless, make sure to wipe down the board so there is no excess saw dust. Then using a roller, paint on the base color (for mine I chose black). I suggest using the roller for this part because it goes much faster than painting with a brush, and the paint goes on much less streaky. It took me two coats to get my desired shade.
 
Step 4) Get the design
For this step, I have included the stencil that I used. Just blow it up as big as you want it to appear on your board. Once you've printed it out, use the Exacto knife to cut out the pieces. Make sure you only cut along the black lines. Once you have done so, remove the extra pieces (the black circle and black "CC").
 
 
Step 5) Marking the board
This step definitely took me the longest! Use your painter's tape to mark off two equal parallel stripes that run from one end of the board to the other. Then, place the Chanel logo where you would want it on the board. Mark on the tape where the logo will be, and remove the tape that would be under the logo. For this part, I used where the end of the paper was to determine where the stripes would stop, thus making a "square" around my logo. Next, tape the logo stencil onto the board.
 
Step 6) Finishing touches
Paint, paint, paint! Use your white primer for the stripes (if the base color of your board is black), and then paint a few coats of white over. Once, dry, remove the tape, and fix any messy edges with some touch-up paint.
 
Step 7) Display
Now it's time to enjoy your beautiful board! Put that baby up and let everyone see your accomplishment! I decided to put mine on a shelf in my room. Along with it, I placed a succulent plant, some Tiffany's bags and boxes, a Christian Louboutin nail polish, a Bath & Body Works candle, and a Neiman Marcus bag. That's just one of many ways you could style this piece! Have fun with it!
 
XO,
Steph
 
 
 

1 comment:

  1. I saw this and had to have a go too, turned out not bad but I used styrofoam, I absolutely loved yours and think it's just fab, well done, nailed it, thanks for sharing. Regards, Lauri (fan of all things designer :))

    ReplyDelete